Sunday, February 27, 2011

AND THE LEGAL BATTLES RAGE ON

It's been over a year since my insurance company canceled my benefits, and almost a year since the facility where I received my therapies canceled those appointments.  During this year I've been to (if memory serves) two depositions, two or three facilitations, signed many, many more release forms, had vehicles parked across from my house (I live in the country) with people watching our yard, been basically treated like a criminal, and found the positive effects of the therapies slowly decline until I'm fairly close to the condition I was in when I started.

If you wind up having to fight for your benefits, you truly need to be prepared for the battle of a lifetime.  If your insurance company doesn't find anything to substantiate their claims that all of your problems exist from your life prior to your accident, they will dig so far into your past you won't believe it.  

Been depressed off and on over the course of your life?  That's the reason  you have problems today.  Need to lose a few pounds?  Ever have a backache?  Headache?  Any sort of twinge?  Believe me when I say that anything that's ever been a problem for you, however brief, will suddenly become the cause of any pain or problem your accident caused.

And it will come from the insurance company who gladly took every dime you paid in premiums.  Well, we really can't forget the doctors who earn tens of thousands of dollars every year for saying there's nothing wrong with people like you and I.

In the beginning I was told that this whole process would take eighteen months to two years.  In just over a month it will be two and a half years.

Why?

Because insurance companies don't want to fulfill their promises to you.  Because they will reschedule and reschedule and reschedule, postponing everything they can.  All in hopes of discouraging you to the point that you give up and stop fighting.

All I can say is that if you have any hope of getting your life back-or as much of it as possible-don't ever give up.  

I'm not giving up.  I would not be opposed to having the opportunity to stand in front of a judge and jury and let them know exactly how mistreated I've been.  To let them know that they (or someone they care about) can expect the same thing if they ever find themselves in my position.  The innocent victim of a car crash.   

Sorry if I sound a little bitter in the past couple of posts.  Since my daughter died, I find that I'm filled with overwhelming hatred for these people who have made my life hell on earth.  Now I'm about to start cussing so this is probably a great time to end this post. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristy! Just a quick note to say 'hi.'

    I had to stop blogging because of my lawsuit and other health stuff kept me away. I hope to pick it up a bit more, hope to anyway.

    Just another fellow TBIer touching base and hope all is as well with you as can be given the circumstances.

    Best to you.

    Blessings, Love & Peace,
    RH

    ReplyDelete
  2. My colleague Michele Rausch and I am working on a project for Traumatic Brain Injury Awareness month in March and we are asking people to share their stories in video form for our YouTube Channel as well as join us on Facebook for discussion. Would this be something you are willing to do? And could you pass the information along to your readers? If so, please email Michele at mrausch@banyancom.com!
    Thank you,
    Mel Byers

    ReplyDelete